LVMH have announced the purchase of 8.6ha of the historic Burgundy Grand Cru vineyard Clos des Lambrays from Societe du Domaine des Lambrays, together with the Societe’s other holdings in Burgundy.
The acquisition by the world’s largest luxury goods company, owned by Bernard Arnaut, signifies a first foray into Burgundy. LVMH are the owners of Bordeaux vineyards Chateau d’Yquem and Cheval Blanc and Champagne houses, Dom Perignon, Krug and France’s oldest Champagne producer Ruinart.
Clos des Lambrays is situated near the village of Morey Saint Denis and was granted Grand Cru status in 1981 together with a separate AOC. Its name and winemaking on the vineyard can be traced back to 1365 where it was referred to as Cloux Des Lambray in the deeds of the neighbouring Citeaux Abbey. After turbulence during the French revolution, the vineyard was reunited in 1868 and was eventually purchased in the mid-1990s by a German couple, Gunter and Ruth Freund. Thierry Brouin has been the wine maker for over 30 vintages and will be retained in the same role by LVMH.
It is being reported that the producer Taupenot Merme will keep their 0.5ha holding in Clos des Lambrays precluding the vineyard from being classed as a monopole. As part of the acquisition, LVMH will also assume Premier Cru plots in Morey Saint Denis and Puligny Montrachet’s Folatieres and Clos du Cailleret.