George de Boüard started buying up land in Saint-Emilion in the 1560s and it was in the 18th century that Catherine de Boüard de Laforest began living on the property in Château Mazerat. Comte Maurice de Boüard de Laforest inherited Mazaret in 1909 and extended the estate with the purchase of Clos de L’Angélus in 1926 and part of Château Beau-Séjour Bécot to form what became Château L’Angélus. The name of the estate is so called from the sound of the daily bells that come from three local churches. Hubert de Boüard de Laforest, the current owner, started working for the Château in 1976 and implemented modernisations of both the chai and vineyard practises that improved L’Angélus from a wine that did not stand out from the crowd to one that broke 90 Parker points in 1988, moved to 96 points in 1989 and has achieved high 90’s in all the classic Saint-Emilion vintages since. In 1990 Hubert de Boüard de Laforest cleverly dropped the L’ from the name of the wine to allow it to show up first on alphabetical lists and his vision and hard work was rewarded when Angélus was promoted to Premier Cru Classé (B) during the 1996 reclassification of Saint-Emilion.
Driven by his passion to make the finest wine in St-Emilion de Boüard, in 1990, added an extra 60 people to the picking process to destem each grape in pursuit of the finest possible quality. His care and meticulous approach to wine making has resulted in a full bodied, concentrated wine with flavours of dark fruit and spice. It is understandable, therefore, Château Angélus has a cult following amongst drinkers and investors alike.