No one is sure of the history of Duhart-Milon pre-revolution and it is only in the 19th century that records began to be kept. A successful lawyer, Pierre Castéja was bequeathed two parcels of land, one from a widow named Duhart and this went on to become the estate known as Duhart-Milon. It was during Pierre’s tenure that the 1855 classification ranked Duhart-Milon a Fourth Growth.
The property remained in the same family until the mid-20th century and slowly fell into a state of disrepair brought on by disease to the vines and the hardship of the World Wars. After the Second World War the property changed hands five times in 25 years, however, no one was prepared to put in the massive investment necessary to turn the ailing vineyards around. In 1962, with Duhart firmly in the doldrums, Baron Eric de Rothschild decided to add the property to his portfolio. Under the management of Charles Chevallier, who also holds this position at Lafite, the dying vines were completely cleared and the painstaking process of rebuilding the estate is well underway.
Château Duhart-Milon possesses no château or chai on the property and the winemaking takes place in the town of Pauillac at a warehouse. After the removal of the predominantly Petit Verdot vines by the Rothschilds, Duhart now produce fantastic Cabernet Sauvignon dominated wines that have improved beyond all measure over the last 30 years.