Léoville Poyferré was originally part of the ancient Léoville estate that took up a vast portion of St-Julien in the 17th and 18th Centuries. After the revolution, and with one quarter of the property already sold to Hugh Barton (Léoville Barton), the decedents of the Marquis Las Cases sold a second quarter to the Baron de Poyferré-Céres in 1840. In 1866 M. Armand Lalande and Baron d’Erlanger purchased the Châeau for one million Francs (£200,000) and ran it successfully until the 1890s when it was sold to Edouard Lawton. During the latter half of the 19th century Poyferré enjoyed a period as the highest price Second Growth. After the First World War the family of Bordeaux based Negotiants assumed ownership. The estate has remained in their control since and is currently presided over by Didier Cuvelier. The quality of the wine suffered a marked decline during the mid-part of the 20th Century. However, under Didier, who has run the Château for over 20 years, Léoville Poyferré has undergone a resurgence and is producing wines worthy of its predecessors.
Léoville Poyferré is located in the St-Julien appellation of the Médoc and winemaking is carried out with exacting standards. Michel Rolland was appointed in 1995 as a consultant and this has seen an increase of quality. The wine used to be the least full bodied of the three Léovilles, now it has a distinct fleshiness and defined structure that has put it on an equal footing to its neighbours.
To visit our buy page please click here.