Thomas Lynch, whose father John followed James II into exile in 1691 from Galway, Ireland, inherited an estate in the village of Bages through his wife Elizabeth in 1749. This was the year that the Château Lynch-Bages was founded and the most celebrated member of the Lynch family, Comte Jean-Baptiste Lynch was born. Jean-Baptiste was a lawyer who played a prominent role in public life in Bordeaux, he was a member and later President of the Parliament de Bordeaux and a member of the Council of 500 in the early days of the Revolution. Finally Jean-Baptiste became Mayor of Bordeaux, however, by this time Château Lynch-Bages had been given to his brother, Michel. Michel ran the estate until 1824 when the family sold to Swiss wine merchant, Sebastian Jurine.
Château Lynch-Bages remained under the ownership of the Jurine then the Cayrou families for over 100 years. In 1934 the enigmatic Jean-Charles Cazes rented the property form its owners and purchased it in 1937. Known as one of the great characters of the Médoc, Jean-Charles was famous for his love of every aspect of winemaking and commitment to Lynch-Bages. After Jean-Charles’ death aged 95 in 1972 running of the Château passed to his son André, former Mayor of Pauillac, and his grandson Jean-Michel Cazes.
Jean-Michel ran the estate until 2006 and after many years of building work and improvements the Château is a gleaming pristine building highly suited to making the outstanding wine synonymous with this name. Situated in the west of the Pauillac region of the Médoc, the 90 hactares of vines at Lynch-Bages are planted on deep gravel beds covered with limestone. The wine is often described as masculine and powerful, often with a strong concentration of blackcurrants and tertiary flavours of cederwood.