Château Pape Clément has the distinction of being the oldest clearly identifiable vineyard in Bordeaux. The property was planted in 1300 by Berald de Goth and presented to his brother Bertrand upon his appointment as Archbishop of Bordeaux. Bertrand became Pope Clement V in 1306 and gifted the vineyard to the incoming Archbishop, Cardinal Arnaud de Canteloup. The estate remained property of the church until the revolution and was sold a number of times in the following years. Jean-Baptiste Clerc assumed ownership in 1858 and the Château flourished, commanding the same prices as the Medoc’s Second Growth wines. After a long period of decline, Paul Montagne purchased the ailing estate in 1939 and in partnership with winemaker Émile Peynaud managed to turn its fortunes around. Since 1985, the property has been producing top class wine under Montagne’s son and Bernard Magrez with the famous Michel Rolland as a consultant.
Château Pape Clément achieved Premier Cru status in the revised 1959 classification of Graves and still retains this despite becoming part of the Pessac-Léognan appellation in 1987 after the division of Graves. The wine is rich and aromatic yet well-structured with flavours of concentrated fruit. Pape Clément is undoubtedly one of the finest wines produced in Pessac-Léognan.
To visit our buy page please click here.