Château Pontet Canet was put together by Jean-François Pontet, a powerful political figure, in the 1720s and 1730s. The property passed to Pierre-Bernard de Pontet and the reputation of the wines produced flourished until his death in 1836. This moment marked a decline in the standard and price of the wine, which in turn, led to Pontet Canet being rated a Fifth Growth rather than any higher.
The property was purchased in 1865 by Herman Cruse and promptly installed the 23 year old Charles Skawinski, son of Pierre of Château Giscours, to manage the property. Cruse invested heavily in the property including building a new chai, a new cuvier and constructing one of the few large underground cellars in the Médoc. The standard of the wines increased dramatically, often fetching as much as 3rd or even occasionally 2nd Growths.
After the death of Cruse’s widow, the Cruse firm in Bordeaux ran the Château until a crisis forced its sale in 1975. Guy Tesseron purchased the estate and it is now owned by his two sons, Alfred and Gérard, meaning that three families have owned the property during its illustrious history.
Situated in Pauillac, next to Mouton Rothschild, Pontet Canet under the influence of Alfred has embraced organic winemaking techniques and was the first Château to earn the official Agence Bio (AB) organic certificate. These techniques, coupled with the bad gravel soil perfect for growing the grapes has made this into a wine that often far exceeds its Fifth Growth status and can on occasion be compared to the Super Seconds.