The Sassicaia Estate is situated near the Tuscan coast and had been in owner Leopoldo Incisa’s family since 1800. Following his retirement in 1840 he pursued a number of interests including winemaking. It was Leopoldo’s writings on vines and wines that inspired his Great-Grandson, Mario Incisa della Rocchetta to plant the Sassicaia vineyard on his wife’s estate, Tenuta San Guido.
The first Cabernet Sauvignon vines were planted on land in Tenuta San Guido in 1940, however, nearly all the wine produced for the next 20 years remained in and was consumed by their family and friends. The 1968 vintage was first to be produced commercially and the wine garnered great success, gaining an equal standing amongst the top wines of Bordeaux, which its grape variety and blend emulates. In 1978 a panel of distinguished critics judged the Sassicaia 1972 to be the best wine of a field of 33 wines from 11 different countries in a tasting entitled ‘great clarets’.
After the death of Mario Incisa della Rocchetta, his son, Nicolò assumed control and took this seminal ‘Super Tuscan’ from strength to strength. The quality of the wine was recognised by being awarded its own DOC (Bolgheri) in 1990 and is a member of the international elite wine society, Primum Familiae Vini.
The name Sassicaia comes from the Italian word for stone, sasso and its meaning can be summed up as stony field. The vineyards are rumoured to have been planted with vines originally purchased from Château Lafite and are protected from sea breezes by occupying a south-westerly facing hill and by the Tenuta San Guido castle.
To visit our buy page please click here.